Mam: Pregnant 40 weeks (Baby 38 weeks)
Labour begins with the hormone oxytocin, which is produced in the pituitary gland under the brain
It's almost time! Labour begins with the hormone oxytocin, which is produced in the pituitary gland under the brain. But remember: only 5% of all babies are born exactly on the predicted due date. Sleeping may be less comfortable but try to rest with your feet up as much as possible. And, if you think you are in labour, keep your stomach empty to avoid nausea.
Scared about delivery? Holistic practices and complementary therapies have been studied in pregnancy and childbirth, with evidence that holistic therapies increase satisfaction and lower medical interventions. Here are just a few things that might make you feel good as baby arrives! A less-stressed mum is a happy mum, and the baby is usually happier too!
- Massage: Associated with enhanced satisfaction, better coping, and lower intervention rates. Massage promotes relaxation and decreases pain perception.
- Aromatherapy: Associated with enhanced satisfaction, better coping, lower intervention rates, and less medication use.
- Hydrotherapy: Associated with enhanced satisfaction, lower intervention rates, less medication use, fewer epidurals, and better foetal positioning. May promote labour progress.
- Acupressure: Associated with enhanced satisfaction, lower intervention rates, and shortened labour time. May provide pain relief.
- Music: Associated with enhanced coping, reduced stress, and reduced pain perception.’ 
Non-invasive pain relief methods include TENS (which stimulate endorphins), entonox gas, drugs or an epidural anaesthetic. Epidurals are a common form of pain relief used for first-time mother
Langmans Medical Embryology, Ninth Edition, TW Sadler, 2003find out more
WebMd discusses week 37 of pregnancyfind out more
University of Minnesota Center for Spirituality and Healing, ‘Holistic Pregnancy and Childbearing: What does the Research Tell Us?find out more